Trades Taster Day
Year 11 (15 years old and over*)
|Time||8.45am – 3.00pm|
|Location||Rotokauri Campus, G block|
|Total Cost||$60 (GST inc.)|
17 May 2019
28 June 2019
6 September 2019
1 November 2019
What's it all about?
*Due to the Workshop Health and Safety requirements, students need to be at least 15 years old to attend this STAR course.
Are you interested in learning about a trade? Come and join our Wintec trade tutors for a 1 day experience to see what it might be like as an Automotive technician or Engineering Fabricator.
Using our late model vehicles, our automotive tutors will lead you through some basic vehicle inspections and activities including such things as:
- How to check for tyre wear
- How to read the tyre sidewall information
- How to safely remove and install a tyre
- How to check for brake wear for both disk and drum brakes
- How to check the various vehicle fluids
- How to change a cam belt
- Our fabrication tutors will lead you through the basic safety of welding processes
- You will develop the basic technique for welding thin sheet metal using MIG (metal inert gas) welding and TIG (Tungsten inert gas) equipment
- You will have time to practice your skills and then be provided material to design and build your own ‘bridge’, that will then be tested in our hydraulic press to determine its yield strength
What to bring / wear?
- Enclosed footwear (jandals are not permitted)
- Comfortable clothing
- Morning tea, lunch and a drink
Ready to book
Students - please talk to your Careers Advisor as you need to book through your school.
Careers advisors please go to the Booking Form to book